The foolproof plan to impress your sweetheart with steak and lobster at home!
Call 825-MEAT to order today!
Misc. to check for in the pantry
Instant read thermometer
Broiler pan or cookie sheet with grate
Heavy cast iron pan or similar frying pan
· 1 Butcher Boy Sweetheart Special
· Kosher or sea salt
· Fresh ground black pepper
· Rich butter, like Kerrygold brand
· 1 head garlic (glorious garlic farms is best!)
· 1 bunch Italian parsley
· 1 bunch fresh chives
· 2 medium Russet potatoes
· 1 bunch asparagus
· Small tub sour cream
Done in the days before-
· Mix one clove of crushed garlic, 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley and a bit of salt and pepper into 2 Tbs. softened butter. Store in fridge and use to garnish steak instead of plain butter
· Buy a nice tablecloth, centerpiece and un-scented candles with holders.
· Grab a bottle of red wine. If you can, make it something memorable that you have shared in the past.
· Put together a custom playlist of your favorite shared tunes
· Flowers. Never forget the flowers…
The Full Meal Recipe
90 minutes out
· Turn oven on and set at 350 degrees
· Fine chop a small handful of parsley and chives separately, smash a clove of garlic, cut tough stems from asparagus, fill small bowl with sour cream, refrigerate all
· Scrub potatoes well and let dry. Coat potatoes with a bit of olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in foil.
75 minutes out
· Place potatoes in heated oven on upper rack. Cook potatoes for 45 minutes, until slightly tender.
· Remove steak from refrigerator and set on grate/broiler pan with no cover
· Set table with sea or kosher salt/pepper, wine glasses, napkins and utensils
30 minutes out
· Drop oven temperature to 250 degrees. Leave door open for a few minutes to let heat out. Leave potatoes in.
· Put steak in oven on lower rack when temperature has dropped, remove lobster tails from refrigerator.
· Set a large pot of salted water to boil, covered.
· Put 4 Tbs. butter, 1 clove crushed garlic and 2-3 turns fresh pepper in small saucepan. Place on low heat. Let butter simmer lightly for 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
· Leave another few Tbs. of butter out in a small bowl to warm to room temperature to serve with potatoes
20 minutes out
· Place 12-16 ice cubes in a large bowl and add cold water
· Add asparagus to boiling water for 75-90 seconds. Drain and place in ice water to stop cooking. Drain well
· Open wine and finish setting table. Turn on some tunes to set the mood.
16-18 minutes out
· Check temperature of steak
· After 12-16 minutes, steak should be 115 degrees for medium rare, 16-20 minutes and 125 degrees for medium.
15 minutes out
· Remove steak at correct temperature. Lay a piece of foil over steak. Turn oven up to 450 degrees
· Unwrap potatoes and move to bottom rack
· Place lobster tails on grate/broiler pan. Season with salt and pepper. Top each with spoon of butter.
· Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay in single layer on broiler pan with lobster, not touching
· Place lobster and asparagus in oven on upper rack.
12 minutes out
· Heat heavy frying pan, cast iron is best, over high heat until just smoking.
· Turn on the vent, open a window.
8 minutes out
· Remove lobster tails and asparagus from oven after 7-88 minutes. Cover tightly with foil to hold in the heat.
· Season steak with salt and pepper. Lay into hot pan, cook without moving for 60 seconds.
· Flip steak, sear again for 60 seconds. Remove to cutting board when all sides have a nice brown crust
5 minutes out
· Slice steak in half, then into 1/2” slices, keeping them arranged. Move to serving tray/plate and arrange into heart shape. Top steak with a teaspoon of cold butter on each half
· Add lobster tails to tray. Garnish all with chopped parsley.
· Pour garlic butter into small serving bowl and add to tray.
· Add warmed butter and sour cream for potatoes
· Arrange baked potatoes and asparagus onto plates. Set at each place setting, set tray in middle of table. Don’t forget serving utensils!
· Double check for all the food, utensils, condiments, etc.